Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Another reminder about death

I just found out that another friend in NUS just passed away today because of colon cancer. Few weeks ago, another lady that I know passed away (she was only 40+). I went to her wake and witnessed how strong her family is. She has six children and the youngest is only around 6 years old.
I met her a few times. The last time I saw someone that I have met in her life and then I saw the same person lying in a coffin was my friend's three-month-old baby and my maternal grandma. When I see their faces, the memories just come back to my mind.

How short a life is!

Of course many reflections write about this so many times, yet how hard it is to seriously live as if today is my last day on earth.

When I read a saint's biography, there was a small section on how when they opened this saint's cupboard, he only has a few belongings packed in a tidy way. After I read that section, my mind was like, "Oh man...if I suddenly die, how difficult it is for my landlady to remove tons of my rubbish from my room!" How easy it is to keep saying "tomorrow, tomorrow, I'll do it tomorrow'', or to be angry because of little things as there will be a second day to say sorry. Why don't I choose the humblest way of saying sorry immediately?

I suddenly remember the Air Asia accident end of last year. So sudden, so familiar route, and a familiar person lost her life in that accident. It could have been me.

Today, again I am strongly reminded about how near a death could be, and how I wish I could be like my friend, the lady that passed away recently, and the saint, to be ready whenever God calls me.

No comments:

Post a Comment