Friday, June 5, 2015

Letters from the past

I've found these stacks of letters in my old bag in my bedroom in Indonesia.

please ignore the mess behind...The blue box contains Barbie doll dresses @.@

This photo excludes Christmas cards from my primary school days.

I threw most of the Christmas cards except a few. Being primary school student, we wrote little on Christmas cards =P

However, the letters were too hard to be thrown away. I washed the bag and moved the letters to a nice cute tin. Unfortunately, the tin was a little bit small as it can only contain C6-size envelopes. I kept the DL-size envelopes in my other memorabilia-shoebox.

I used to have pen friends. Initially I only planned to keep one letter from each friend. I think I only had two or three pen friends. The memorable one was one from Bali. She sent me a Westlife poster. It was my first celebrity poster, as my dad put a poster of ministers' name and photos instead of celebrity photos on the wall. I am really curious, what if I send them letters now? In this facebook era. Are my pen friends still staying in the same house? Well, you know..Indonesia is a huge country.

I had another type of letter, which is from friends from my old school. I changed school when I was Primary 4. There were two or three friends whom I wrote letters to from the primary school and there was another friend from English course who has the same birthday as me =P

I can't remember how and why I stopped corresponding with my pen friends. I guess it is because of the busy schedule in secondary school? I suddenly miss the experience of writing letters. At the moment, I correspond through postcards mainly with my two friends, both are in UK. It's quite funny because recently I don't travel, so I don't have a nice postcard to write. I went to a bookstore with my colleague and I complained to her that I didn't like the postcards. She's a good photographer and I told her, "I think your photo is much better to be a postcard!" Afterwards, she let me choose her photos and we printed three 'postcards', very beautiful photos of Singapore landscape!!

I still have the habit of writing Christmas cards and as I travel overseas sometimes, I write postcards. I think these hard copy letters are really irreplaceable. Nothing can replace the excitement of waiting for letters and of thoughtfully put my thoughts down in writing. Unlike writing emails, which provides me the option to click backspace or delete, I need to think carefully before I write and I need to plan what I want to write (most of the times I run out of space). I guess I should write postcards more often. Hahaha. It's a good exercise for me to be less impulsive.

No comments:

Post a Comment