Monday, June 29, 2015

Life goes on!

I'm a bit sad to see my friends changing their profile picture to the 'rainbow-filter' profile picture.

The wise thing to do now is...stay positive!

My boyfriend said that the situation during the first Christians' era was far worse than this. Thus, I would agree that we have hope! Of course I will pray more for the US, and most importantly, I need to pray more for Singapore and Indonesia. While most people just look at the Supreme Court's decision as a victory for equality and a 'progress', I guess few of my friends realized how irrational the decision was from the law and public policy point of view. Come over here for a good reading about this topic!

I think the urgent thing to do now is to wake my friends up. Many of us still think that it's something that is only happening far far away in the US, or thinking that our Asian society is still conservative, we sit back and relax. If we look at the timeline, it took only about 53 years (considering that the spread of information was not as fast as now) from the decriminalization of homosexual act to the Supreme Court's decision now. Looking at Singapore case, the PinkDot movement started in 2009, and growing number of people gathered every year for the sake of solidarity for the people with homosexual tendencies. The problem again, again, and again is... you can respect and honor people with homosexual tendencies without agreeing with the homosexual relationships, but people think that to support and care for them, you must let them ''marry''. With the fast spread information and social media that is not neutral, I foresee that it will take less than 53 years for Singapore to be in where US is now if we don't buckle up. Anyway, I promise to be positive, we have HOPE!

I would really like to challenge people who wear pink shirts on PinkDot gathering every year, and people who change their profile picture with the rainbow-filter, do you really know what you are proud of? Have you done your research? Another friend sent me various articles that claim that children who were adopted by homosexual parents were not disadvantaged compared to heterosexual parents. However, none of these ''articles'' were scientific articles. People stopped at reading an article that cites another article that reviews another article @.@ When I finally found a convincing paper on this topic, the no-difference in psychological problems were between homosexual parents and divorced families. There was indeed a higher likelihood of having psychological problems when we compare the children of homosexual parents from the intact heterosexual parents.

I am also surprised that not many people talk about the children when they celebrate this 'victory'. Have you read this and this or this? Recently I have been playing with my boyfriend's niece, and my mind flew to all the developmental psychology studies when I saw his niece sat on him while he did push up and screamed ''up-down-up-down'' while she ran to me to pretend play Goldilocks and the three bears. I can't remember the titles anymore but there are tons of studies showing the complex relationship between motherhood, fatherhood, and child development. It's as simple as how daddy tends to carry the baby outwards, and do rough play with the babies, and how mother affects daughter's body image and so on and so forth. It's complex. I just cannot comprehend how you would allow two mothers and two fathers to adopt children, after you know how unique the role of each parent is. No matter how strong and muscular the other mother is, and how gentle the other father is, can you really imagine a ''mother'' brought the daughter for a father-daughter-date and talked to her about how a guy should behave?

Anyway, enjoy the celebration! For me, life goes on :) If one truly thinks that #Lovewins, one will think about the children too. If one truly thinks that #Lovewins, one will stand up against people who send hatred messages or actions to priests and pastors even though he or she is agree with gay marriage. If one truly thinks that #Lovewins, there is no need to sue a baker who doesn't want to bake for your wedding (there are so many bakers out there, my love to my partner is not affected by one person's rejection). Love is not only for my partner, but also my neighbor and his or her God.

Much homework needs to be done to wake people up before it's too late.

What kind of love that #Lovewins proclaims?

For us who live in Singapore and Indonesia, what can we do? First, if you are Christians or Catholics, please stop saying ''the Bible said so" or "the Pope said so". It's a good time to read up. Second, pray. Third, be a better family member. If you are dating, prepare your marriage well, as our children are facing harder times soon. If you are married, strengthen your marriage, as that is the most beautiful testimony that you can give.

No comments:

Post a Comment