Thursday, June 4, 2015

The value of freedom

I've spent a few days in Indonesia and I'll be back in Singapore on Saturday. Looking at my brother preparing his undergraduate final project defense, I look back and thank God that my parents have taught both of us a great lesson about freedom.

I only heard the notion of 'freedom-with-responsibility' in university (unfortunately), but my parents have taught both of us about it since young. While many parents force their kids to study in school of medicine, my mom talked to my brother and questioned him when my brother was wondering if he should be a doctor, if he really wants to be a doctor or he actually likes other things. My brother thought again and realized that he did not really want to be a doctor and at the end he chose architecture. When I was about to graduate from high school, other parents 'complained' to my mom "Why do you let your daughter choose psychology?" (as I was from science stream). My mother said in a cool manner, "It's her life, so let her choose what she wants". My parents just want us to finish what we start.

This may sound very simple. However, it's not that simple for other people (or parents). I've seen people suffer because their parents force them to choose a particular major, or not to choose a particular boyfriend/girlfriend (without strong reasons). I've seen relatives who were forced to study during high school, and once they are in college and live far from their parents, they enjoy their new 'freedom' by not studying!

When the priests talk about the importance about teaching children how to use their freedom responsibly, I always remember my parents. They are really an example for me and a good reminder for me (I can be a controlling person at times!), that learning how to use freedom with responsibility is really important! Take the freedom away and the kids will be handicapped :(




No comments:

Post a Comment