Tuesday, December 11, 2018

The Five-Minute Writer - Day 3 - life and kerupuk

Day 3 - connect a concrete noun with an abstract concept

The author asked us to list some concrete nouns and connect them with some abstract concepts.

Concrete nouns
Crackers (Kerupuk)
Kettle
Water bottle
Car

Abstract concept
Life
Hunger
Happiness
Marriage

Life is like a kerupuk. We can just go through it without paying attention to details, or we can be like my grandma, so particular about choosing female fish over male fish to be made into kerupuk (I think it’s female, I need to check with her). According to her, the taste is nicer when she chooses the female fish. When we are mindful on what’s going on in our life, we actually enjoy life more! Sometimes unexpected things happen to our life, just like the kerupuk. Like cats coming to visit dried dough of kerupuk, or cloudy weather that makes our kerupuk unable to dry properly. When we let the heat and the oil burn as we deep fry the kerupuk, it expands and becomes crunchy. Just how our life blossoms in the little heat of suffering here and there.

When I start to feel hungry, I imagine the bubble start forming as it boils in the kettle. I often ignore it initially, but the push of steam can’t be ignored and eventually makes  the kettle whistle. Just like how I end up snapping at people.

Disclaimer: I borrow this analogy from a priest advising about marriage!
Marriage is like buying a new car. The gears need to adjust with each other and you really feel the friction when all the parts are trying to get used to each other. It gets better with time as you use the car and take care of the car. Things become smoother but you need to keep using it and let the parts adjust to each other.

Happiness is like a water bottle. We can’t share the water with others if the bottle is empty. It needs to be filled with the right temperature of our choice. One may choose cold water but maybe for me it is the room temperature water that makes me feel satisfied. Over the years our definition of happiness becomes unique. Just like even though my water bottle is the same with my student’s, I’ve realised mine still has the plastic packaging over the body of the water bottle and my student’s connector between the cap and the body has been broken. Though travel does make me happy, I manage to find happiness in having less money, do less travel, and reading library books during vacation. (Of course I still thrive to save up to travel next time, hahaha)

No comments:

Post a Comment